Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson





Lia and her best friend since childhood, Cassie, had battled to be the skinniest girl in the school. Lia is anorexic and Cassie was bulimic. I say was because Cassie died before the novel began. Lia has to deal with the aftermath and her urges to cut, while her parents are watching her every move and bite, threatening to send her away. From the frantic crazy writing style the author uses, you can really feel what Lia is feeling, and maybe being put away for her own safety wouldn't be the worst thing.

Well... this isn't my usual genre of book, but I didn't know that until I started reading it. I kept seeing it show up in recommended books and on the shelves of my various haunts so I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, the second half of the novel I spent most of the book just skimming, not so much interested in the story but in just seeing if Lia was going to succumb to anorexia or depression and die.

0 Comments: