Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Valiant - A Modern Tale of Faerie

I must say, I was pretty disappointed when I started reading Valiant, to find out that this story didn’t continue the story of Kaye and Roiben, but I was easily immersed in this book regardless. This is the story of a girl who runs away from NJ to NYC after she catches her mom and her boyfriend together. Yeah, I know. So she ends up on the streets and meets some friends who introduce her to a whole new world of fairies. Of course, while enchanting, the fairy world is a grim and dangerous place for a human to be aware of, much less involved in, and much excitement ensues.

I will not that author Holly Black continued the alternative, grunge, dirty girl theme that she did in the first novel which was surprising, I thought with new characters she would explore a different … character, but not really. In the first novel she had a drunk mom who was in a band that she took care of and her lifestyle showed it, and in this one she kept the new character grungy as well – from punching guys in the face to shaving her head, to shooting up fairy dust. Kind of disturbing/ not something you can relate to. Nevertheless an ok read.

0 Comments: